Subject: Re: word processor that runs on NetBSD/i386? (FAQ?)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mario Kemper <magick@bundy.lip.owl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 21:05:01
In article <199806220749.JAA12445@fred.ub.uni-mainz.de>,
	Kurt Schreiner  <Kurt.Schreiner@Uni-Mainz.DE> writes:

>> It should. We have very good linux emulation. I think the only
>> significant call we are missing is clone().
>
> ...and some features of the linux /proc fs, which is used by many
> (commercial) packages at least during installation - I just tryed to
> install Staroffice, another (for home use free) office-suit last
> week. the installation program tries to open /proc/cmdline or some
> such and then dies...
> other than that, the linux-emulation works very well!
>
> btw.: has someone hacked the proc-fs code to create a /proc/cmdline file?

I patched the install program (/proc/%s/cmdline to /proc/10/cmdline) and
created that file myself. Its a bit tricky to get the right parameters for
network install but it works. You'll have to patch the Soffice binary also.

If someone is interested i can try to recall the complete path to a
Staroffice-sp3 network installation.

P.S.: This kludge will only work unless no other Linux program uses
      /proc/$PID/cmdline. But so far i haven't seen one.

--
Mario Kemper
magick@bundy.lip.owl.de