Subject: Re: word processor that runs on NetBSD/i386? (FAQ?)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/1998 13:04:36
Perry Metzger writes:

>Matthias Scheler writes:

[snip]

>> At least Star Office 4.0 SP 3 cause trouble because it wants to have
>> a Linux like "/proc" filesystem.
>
>We *do* have a procfs. creating a linux emulating version thereof and
>putting it in /emul should not be a hard task at all if someone
>actually needs it.

We do have a procfs. Sensibly enough, it provides information on
processes.

The linux procfs is a huge directory tree with human-readable text
databases on everything in the system. Think of it as a replacement
for
	* sysctl,
	* netstat (all of: connection state, route table, arp table,
          protocol stats),
	* vmstat (page statistics, etc)
	* hardware info (cputype, IRQ/DRQ mappings, etc.)
	* supported filesystems.

and I'm sure there are several I've left out.
I think emulating all of these faithfully would be a hard task.