Subject: Re: more trouble installing on a Dell
To: None <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1998 13:49:11
>From: emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com (Eric McWhorter)
>Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:51:12 PDT

>  With the riser
>card removed, the system boots single-user, but with the riser card
>installed (with no cards plugged into the riser, just the riser its self) I
>get the following from the kernel right after the cdrom is detected:
>
>sb 0 at isa0 port 0x200 - 0x237 irq 7 drq 1: dsp v3.02
>audio0 at sb0
>wss0 at isa 0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1isa0: drq 1 is not free
>panic: isa_dmamap_create
>Stopped at         _Debugger+0x4: leave

Your machine has built-in audio on the riser card.  Are there options
in the BIOS to disable it?  If not, then you will probably have to
copy the kernel from the installation floppy to your hard drive; the
installation kernel has no audio support, so it won't cause that
problem.  Once you have a bootable system you can build a custom
kernel that will avoid this DRQ conflict.

>The strange thing is the system booted and installed using the kernel off
>the install floppy just fine, but the kernel put on the hard drive doesn't
>work.  I don't want to try and run with that kernel because I don't know if
>I have a config file for it.

src/sys/arch/i386/conf/INSTALL.
--
Mike Long <mikel(at)shore.net>             http://www.shore.net/~mikel