Subject: Re: [q] A Mac is crashing my NetBSD/i386 box
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
From: Peter Bentley <peter.bentley@nomura.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1998 15:39:41
Ken Wellsch wrote:
> My server is just blindly
> writing all that it can... relying on the kernel to block it.  The
> Mac is slowly reading & processing the data while the mbuf's fill.

That's a perfectly reasonable strategy used by many, many servers and it
works well under NetBSD normally.  I assume your server-side application
isn't doing anything like setsockopt(SO_SNDBUF)?  I'm guessing not and
that something the Mac is doing is persuading NetBSD to queue up a lot
more data on the sending socket than it really should...

If that's the case it suggests a method for a rather nasty DoS attack on
(eg) NetBSD based web servers.

> Yes, I can attempt to do that when I don't have an office worth of folks
> also using the same network... 8-)

That's what tcpdump has filter expressions for :)

Pete.