Subject: Re: O/S Support for large [512Mb] PC systems
To: Mr G.D. Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1998 07:04:32
In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.980619111236.14607A-100000@uxa.liv.ac.uk>, "Mr G.D. T
yson" writes:
>1) Ideally I would like the 9Gb disks to have a single large filesystem +
>   some swap. However I think the max size of a filesystem is limited to
>   2Gb - Is this still true ?

No, it hasn't been true in a long time.  I do not believe there exist
enough bytes to create a maximal filesystem.

>4) Has anyone used any of the Supermicro boards e.g. P6DBS with the builtin
>   Adaptec Dual Channel UWSCSI ? or got suggestions for other suitable
>   motherboards (preferably ones with will take up to 1Gb RAM) I should
>   point out that 'the management' would REALLY like to use a commercially
>   available box rather than me build one out of bits !

While it's pretty much theoretical at the moment, there's some discussion of
building a NetBSD support organization; if this happens, we will be happy to
build systems, I suspect.  And remember, it's commercial as long as someone
else tightens the screws.

-s