Subject: Re: more trouble installing on a Dell
To: Eric McWhorter <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1998 11:26:58
> sb 0 at isa0 port 0x200 - 0x237 irq 7 drq 1: dsp v3.02
> audio0 at sb0
> wss0 at isa 0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1isa0: drq 1 is not free
> panic: isa_dmamap_create
> Stopped at         _Debugger+0x4: leave

This reply won't help you, but it should be stated anyway.  8-)

Looking at the ISA dma code, it looks like there is a bunch of code
which really should return an error to the caller, rather than panic,
if it can't get the channel.  Both isa_dmacascade() and
isa_dmamap_create() seem to panic instead of returning an error in
this case.  Really, what I think you want to do in these cases is
return an error, then have the driver that called the isa dma code
either disable the device, or try a different DRQ (if that makes
sense).

chris