Subject: more trouble installing on a Dell
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric McWhorter <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1998 09:51:12
Computer is a dell optiplex gx1.

Thanks for the help on the last item.  I got ahold of an older ethernet card
and netbsd installed via ftp.  Very nice installation proceedure, by the
way.

Anyway, when I try to boot with the kernel installed on my hard drive I have
to unplug the "riser card" , at least that's what they used to call them,
are they still called that?  Anyway, the thing that plugs into my
motherboard that has my ISA and PCI slots (4 ISA, 5 PCI).  With the riser
card removed, the system boots single-user, but with the riser card
installed (with no cards plugged into the riser, just the riser its self) I
get the following from the kernel right after the cdrom is detected:

sb 0 at isa0 port 0x200 - 0x237 irq 7 drq 1: dsp v3.02
audio0 at sb0
wss0 at isa 0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1isa0: drq 1 is not free
panic: isa_dmamap_create
Stopped at         _Debugger+0x4: leave

at which point I'm in the kernel debugger.  I just want to use this computer
for software development.  I couldn't care less if I have to pull out
drivers from the kernel.  Outside of the obvious, all I need in the kernel
is support for ethernet and nfs (otherwise my data won't get backed up).  Is
there stuff I can pull out of the kernel to make things work?  The audio0
thing looks like something I don't need, as does the irq 7 (parrallel port,
right?) stuff.  I can't run without the riser because that's where my
ethernet lives, at least until a driver is available for my on-board
ethernet card.

The strange thing is the system booted and installed using the kernel off
the install floppy just fine, but the kernel put on the hard drive doesn't
work.  I don't want to try and run with that kernel because I don't know if
I have a config file for it.

Thanks!

Eric McWhorter
development engineer