Subject: Trouble with install on a Dell
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric McWhorter <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1998 15:05:39
I have a useless 400 MHZ Dell PC in my office, i.e. it runs NT 4.0.  I'd
like to run NetBSD.  Pardon this really horrible email software.  Promise,
I'll replace it as soon as I can run NetBSD.

When I boot a floppy that has boot.fs from the 1.3.2 tree, I get the
following messages from the kernel:

vendor 0x1067 product 0x7113 (<can't remember this part>) at pci 0 dev 7
function 3 not configured.
vendor 0x1067 product 0x9055 (ethernet network revision 0x24) at pci 0 dev 7
function 0 not      configured.

The ethernet is builtin on the motherboard and has a 3com chipset.  I can't
load NetBSD via any network service.  I assume these kernel messages are
somehow relevant.  Anyway, should I try to load from a local disk and assume
my ethernet card will work once I can build a kernel, or should I just
disable the on-board ethernet (assuming that's even possible) and buy an
ethernet card?

Thanks!

Eric McWhorter
emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com