Subject: Busspace sanity ...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/1998 16:27:08
My serial console showed me that there is a new check in
bus_space_write_XXX to catch unaligned busspace accesses.
If this happens in the ethernet driver of a diskless machine, this
gets your attention :-))

I think it is a little to aggressive.
Forcing alignment to access-size may help getting more drivers real MI it
is annoying for people that check already for propper alignment for
the actual architecture.

Eg. a check with ALIGNED_POINTER(p,unit) should be sufficient to avoid
the reminder from bus_space_XXXX.

There could be an option like BUSSPACE_DEBUG_ALIGNMENT with
stricter rules for MI-testing, but for the normal kernel (with DEBUG)
the __BUS_SPACE_ALIGNED_ADDRESS macro should be equal to ALIGNED_POINTER.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center