Subject: RE: Setting up a new server, help with hardware choices
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/1998 15:35:53
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

> A RAID solution would be ideal but I see no mention of SCSI RAID
> controllers on the list of supported hardware. I guess the only option
> for using RAID would be an external cabinet with a built-in RAID
> controller?

Yeah. Or just go the cheap way and stripe, say, 4 x 4GB Barracudas
or Atlases and watch the system fly. I understand our CVS server
is doing this and sees >20 MB/sec sequential reads.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates