Subject: Will the Linux or FreeBSD XSuSE servers for XFree86 work?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1998 02:10:11
Hello, I've been thinking about buying a new graphics card lately
(I've upped my resolution to 1280X1024, 8-bit color is driving me
nuts, and not even my card's manufacturer sells 256k standard 70ns
VRAM anymore), and the opportunity to buy a Diamond "Fire GL 1000 Pro"
has come up.

The card has very nice specs, but unfortunately the XFree86 server for
the Permedia2 chipset it uses, though available, is only provided in
binary format for some unexplained legal reasons which are in the
process of being solved.

According to the web page for the XSuSE X Server, the server is
available now in Linux and FreeBSD binary formats.

So my big question: Has anyone out there attempted to use either of
these servers under NetBSD?  Are there likely to be problems (is the
server likely to use FreeBSD or Linux specific features that won't
work with compat_linux or compat_freebsd)?

Should I just avoid this card and find something that will work with
NetBSD now?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Zach Fine
czyz@u.washington.edu