Subject: Re: Dual disk multiboot
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1998 00:25:35
Speaking of bteasy and multiple boot disks, has anyone tried to set up
a multiple boot setup with one SCSI and one IDE drive?

I recently added a 3.2gig IDE drive to my box, which already had a 3.2
gig SCSI drive attached. I normally boot NetBSD from the SCSI drive.

I used the install disk to format and label the new drive, since I
figured it'd be easier to do that than to manually work out the
disktab entry.

I didn't install anything onto the new disk, I just formatted it for
use by NetBSD.

When I rebooted my system, it attempted to boot off the IDE drive, and
actually got a bit of the way through booting, but couldn't get past
the fact that there was no getty program on the disk. I was able to
restart and reboot with the command hd1a:netbsd just fine.

So I'd guess that the NetBSD install disk put a generic kernel on the
new disk and set it up with an mbr that makes it think it's THE boot
disk.  Or is it just that PCs like to boot of IDE if available, and
it's necessary to specify SCSI?

In any case I'd really like to get it set up so that my machine still
automatically boots from SCSI.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and the connection between this and the previous message? I was
also curious whether or not it would be possible to set up a small
Win95 partition on the IDE drive and allow that to be bootable from a
menu, but still boot NetBSD from the SCSI drive.

-Zach Fine
czyz@u.washington.edu