Subject: Re: Dual disk multiboot
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1998 05:28:03
Eric Delcamp <edelcamp@easynet.fr> typed:
:Due to a big crash on my netbsd machine, I need to use the NetBSD disk in
:another i386 box.
:Here is the setup:
:Disk 1 : IDE with a DOS 6.22 (FAT16) partition and a NTFS partition.
:Disk 2 : SCSI with my NetBSD data (root,swap,usr).
:(SCSI controller is an ISA AHA-1542CF).
:If I unplug IDE disk, I can boot from SCSI. If the IDE is plug, I get the
:WinNT boot menu (Win NT, Win NT VGA, DOS).
:I want to choose what system I will launch without plug/unplug a disk.
:The problem is that I have 2 disks. OS-BS wont work.
:Any ideas ?
:PS: Can I re-use the WinNT boot manager to do this ? It's will be a smart
:solution ;-)

Won't dosboot work?  I'm having to use it now (for an ATA disk) 'cos I killed
the boot stuff on my second drive and installboot doesn't work properly for
me - well it might after a bit of hacking.  Can't you change your config.sys
& autoexec.bat to do only ``dosboot -u sd0a:/netbsd'' and bypass everything
else?  I also couldn't get the WinNT boot manager to work to boot me up so
I choose DOS from that, then NetBSD from an MeSsy-DOG config.sys menu.
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/