Subject: Re: Custom boot kernels
To: None <et1@ibm.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/1998 18:45:34
"Ernst J. du Toit" writes:
> Hi All
>
> David Rankin's request makes me wonder...
> I've also got quite an 'odd ball' (and buggy, in my case) hardware.

> Luckily for me I can build a custom kernel, BUT I don't have enough
> space for a full tree. How much trouble is it going to be to modify
> the current setup so that someone like me can assemble a custom boot
> disk???

It won't be *that* hard, but you are going to need the sources to a
dozen utilities or so. Boot disks are built by typing "make" in
src/distrib/i386/floppies -- see if you can figure out what you need
from there.

> I think it would be great if the install software can be 1) a
> separate file on the boot disk called by the 'install kernel' or 2)
> a piece of object code tha t can be linked in when you build a
> custom boot kernel, this piece of code can then be shipped with the
> binary tree.

> Possible?

No way in hell is it possible, or even desirable. Besides, it would be
like curing a broken toe by amputating the leg.

Perry