Subject: Custom boot kernels
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <et1@ibm.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/1998 20:50:15
Hi All

David Rankin's request makes me wonder...
I've also got quite an 'odd ball' (and buggy, in my case) hardware.

Luckily for me I can build a custom kernel, BUT I don't have enough space for a
full tree. How much trouble is it going to be to modify the current setup so
that someone like me can assemble a custom boot disk???

To clarify, I thought I could build a custom boot disk by building a kernel from
the INSTALL config file, with my custom h/w configs, and copy that kernel unto
the install disk. However when the disk boots it fails while trying to
mount the memory disk. Running strings(1) against the real install kernel, I
found the installation software integrated into the kernel - bummer.

I think it would be great if the install software can be 1) a separate file on
the boot disk called by the 'install kernel' or 2) a piece of object code that
can be linked in when you build a custom boot kernel, this piece of code can
then be shipped with the binary tree.

Possible? Too much trouble?? Everyone's got a full source tree or your hardware
is 100% current and compatible? :-)

--et
Ernst J. du Toit <et1@ibm.net>
This message was sent by XFMail on NetBSD/i386 1.3.1