Subject: Re: Mounting old SunOS SCSI disk under NetBSD i386
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/1998 14:58:40
On May 4, Alicia da Conceicao wrote
> Greetings:
>
> My old Sun3/60 running SunOS 4.1.1_U3 died on me.  :-(  In older to retrieve
> my important files from it, I connected my ShoeBox (Sun SCSI disk enclosure)
> to an i386 PC running NetBSD 1.3, with an Adaptec card.  Unfortunately, the
> old SunOS filesystem doesn't appear to be compatible with "ffs", or any of
> the other filesystems, so I can't seem to mount it.

You have 2 problems here: the disk label written on the disk is in
Sun's format and isn't understood by NetBSD/i386, and the filsystems
on this disk are in big-endian format (whereas the i386 is a little-endian
CPU).
The endian-problem is solved in NetBSD-current, so with a -current kernel
you should be able to mount the first partition of your disk using the raw
partition (/dev/sdxd).
There is (currently) no way to read Sun's disklabel on NetBSD/i386.
If you have a way to retrieve the partition's size and offset (from the
format.dat file fot example) you can write a new (i386) label and then mount
all the other partitions.
It should also be quite easy to write a C programs which reads a raw device
and looks for the ffs magic number and printthe offets.