Subject: Re: Disklabelling
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1998 14:54:42
OK, got it!  Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Basically, I just needed to boot up with the old partition ID, then run
``fdisk -u sd0'' followed by installboot to update the bootblocks.  I
don't know why I thought I had to reboot in between these two steps!  :(

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> > It was suggested that pfdisk was the solution/answer to both of the
> > following two questions.  If so, then I am obviously doing something
> 	nope, just the first one, and you could use fdisk under NetBSD to
> change the partition ID so you really don't need pfdisk.
>
> > I reran os-bs to update the boot and active flags, but still it
> > complained about no bootable partition.  Fortunately, when I used pfdisk
> 	This is the NetBSD boot blocks complaining.
> 	You'll need to install new bootblocks from single user mode as
> Andreas Wrede mentioned.  (using installboot)
>
> > complains about there being no on-disk label.  And disklabel still says
> > to use ``disklabel -r'' to write the initial label, but it still doesn't
> > work or make sense:  Why would one use -r [r=read?] to write an initial
> > label?
>
> 	pfdisk/fdisk = change the DOS type partition table.
> 	disklabel = change the NetBSD disklabel (not the parition table)
>
> 	r!=read.  Try
> "disklabel sd# > /tmp/blah",
>     edit /tmp/blah appropriately, then
> "disklabel -R -r sd# /tmp/blah".
>     Or you could try
> "disklabel -i -r sd#"
>     which should do the same thing.
> 	According to the man page, "The specific effect of -r is described
> under each command."   For -R and -w, the -r flag writes the label
> and bootstrap code directly to the disk, which is required when the disk
> has no label.
>
> eric
> haszlaki@uiuc.edu

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |