Subject: Re: Disklabelling
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/02/1998 15:59:29
> It was suggested that pfdisk was the solution/answer to both of the
> following two questions.  If so, then I am obviously doing something
	nope, just the first one, and you could use fdisk under NetBSD to
change the partition ID so you really don't need pfdisk.

> I reran os-bs to update the boot and active flags, but still it
> complained about no bootable partition.  Fortunately, when I used pfdisk
	This is the NetBSD boot blocks complaining.
	You'll need to install new bootblocks from single user mode as
Andreas Wrede mentioned.  (using installboot)

> complains about there being no on-disk label.  And disklabel still says
> to use ``disklabel -r'' to write the initial label, but it still doesn't
> work or make sense:  Why would one use -r [r=read?] to write an initial
> label?

	pfdisk/fdisk = change the DOS type partition table.
	disklabel = change the NetBSD disklabel (not the parition table)

	r!=read.  Try
"disklabel sd# > /tmp/blah",
    edit /tmp/blah appropriately, then
"disklabel -R -r sd# /tmp/blah".
    Or you could try
"disklabel -i -r sd#"
    which should do the same thing.
	According to the man page, "The specific effect of -r is described
under each command."   For -R and -w, the -r flag writes the label
and bootstrap code directly to the disk, which is required when the disk
has no label.

eric
haszlaki@uiuc.edu