Subject: Re: pms0 vs. psm0
To: Patrick Hartling <mystify@iastate.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/1998 17:44:25
> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> } On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:25:51 -0600
> }  Patrick Hartling <mystify@friley63.res.iastate.edu> wrote:
> }
> }  > Hi,
> }  > 	When I originally installed NetBSD on my system a couple of months
> }  > back, I was more than a bit taken aback to discover that the PS/2 mouse
> }  > device on NetBSD is pms0 rather than psm0 (which is what I am accustomed t
> *** o).
> }  > It's not a big deal, but I am curious about why it is named pms0.  Honestl
> *** y,
> }  > it seems a little odd to have a PMS device.  ;)  Thanks.
> }
> } The "psm" version is a new version of the PS/2 mouse driver for the
> } new wscons console code.
>
> I saw that in a message I read (while catching up on mail) about 2 minutes
> after sending my original message.  Heh.  :)

Uh, I think you may have been slightly confused by Jason's mail.

In FreeBSD, "psm" has historically been (as far as I know, and still
is, as far as I know) the name for the PS/2 mouse driver.  I don't
know why they picked that name, in preference to the other
possibilities.

In NetBSD, "pms" has historically been (and still is) the name of the
PS/2 mouse driver.  Again, I don't know why that name was picked in
preference to the other possibilities.

In NetBSD's new "workstation console code" (which is still not
something that most users want to be using; alpha test at best), the
PS/2 mouse driver's name is "psm".  That was chosen because it's a
sensible name, and because it was different than the "pms" driver
name.  The NetBSD "psm" driver has ~nothing to do with the FreeBSD
"psm" driver, except that it happens to drive the same hardware.

If you're using the i386 port right now, you want to be using the pms
driver, _NOT_ the psm driver.

cgd