Subject: 1.3 Upgrade and CCD
To: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/28/1998 16:02:26
>I'm trying to upgrade my i386 1.2f system to 1.3.  The system currently
>has a ccd0d on it, and the boot floppy can't get pass that point when it
>tries to fsck, and failed.
>
>"It appears that ccd0d is not a BSD filesystem or the fsck was not
>successful.  The upgrade has been aborted. (Error number -1.)

The kernel in the install media doesn't have ccd configured.
So, You won't be able to fsck your ccd from the instal media.

The quick alternative is to comment the CCD filesystem out of your
/etc/fstab (by hand) while you do the upgrade, then put it back afterward.

Of course, if you have /usr or /var on the cdd, this won't work.

You should be able to install ``by hand'' if you unpack sysinst and a
1.3 kernel and copy them to your root filesystem, boot single-user,
then run sysinst `by hand'.  This is not recommended, but it should
work.  One way to do this is to boot the install/upgrade media, then
by hand,
	* fsck your root filesystem,
	* mount it
	* copy sysinst from the RAMdisk to the root

to get the full 1.3(.1) GENERIC kernel, you'll have to fetch the
kern.tgz set by hand an unpack it.

Please send a PR so we remember to address this for 1.3.2 and 1.4, and
at least make sure it's in the release notes.  I don't know how tight
the install disk is; maybe there just isn't space for anything more.

BTW, if it were me, I'd upgrade straight to 1.3.1, but whatever..

>BTW, successful is spelled with one "l" not two.  Sysinstl maintainer,
>make a note.

Oops ;).