Subject: Re: SunOS emul = Solaris 2.5.1 emul?
To: None <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/1998 12:44:46
On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 03:31:53AM -0800, Nathan Gelbard wrote:
> I'd like to run JDK 1.2beta2 on my 1.3 i386 box. I installed
> the SunOS emul in the kernel, and grabbed the libs from a Solaris
> 2.5.1 x86 box.
>
> I read compat_sunos, and it mentioned getting the libs from /usr/5lib/lib.
> That directory didnt exist on the Solaris x86 box.
>
> Does the NetBSD SunOS emulation work with Solaris 2.5.x, or just
> SunOS 4.1.x?

COMPAT_SUNOS is for SunOS 4.x; you want COMPAT_SVR4 in this case. Also
define SVR4_COMPAT_SOLARIS2 to get some extra compat hooks for things
that are different in Solaris from SVR4.

This works for a lot of executables, but you may be out of luck with
JDK. I think JDK may try to use some of the LWP system calls, which
NetBSD can't support currently. Perhaps not using "native threads"
will work, I don't know, I've not tried to run JDK under svr4 emulation.

- Frank