Subject: Unable to umount an NFS disk
To: Port-i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/14/1998 21:19:29
Situation:

NetBSD 1.2 NFS server
NetBSD 1.3 NFS client

Client has been whining "nfs server not responding" for several days.
If I try to umount the disk, umount hangs.  If I 'df', it hangs.
Several 'daily' runs have locked up as well.

If I use tcpdump to see the traffic between the server and the client,
_no_ packets are being sent or received when I try to umount the disk.
If I mount it at a different mount point, packets are sent and received
and the mount succeeds.  I can also umount this mount if I want to.

What's up?  How can I umount this NFS disk and get the client machine
fully functional again?

  -jm