Subject: Re: PCI video (was: isapnp not found)
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/11/1998 14:27:00
Mark Andres wrote (rearranged):
> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Nor do we support the graphics card as a PCI device.
>
> It's a good thing I saw this. I was going to buy an S3 Trio64+ today for a
> PC I am building.  Since the S3 Trio is common and well supported by XF86,
> I assumed it would be OK with NetBSD.
>
> So, this begs the question, what PCI video cards *are* supported in
> NetBSD?

Note that "not supported as a PCI device" doesn't mean "not
supported."  It simply means that none of the PCI-ness of the device
is specifically used or even looked for by NetBSD/i386.

S3 cards will work fine with NetBSD.  As far as NetBSD/i386 is
concerned, a vga card is a vga card is a vga card, and it doesn't
matter whether it's on PCI, ISA, EISA, VLbus, or whatever.

It's up to X to do something 'special' with the card, and (as you've
noted) XF86 supports that card.

*chuckle*  Really it begs the question "Why do you think PCI video
cards need special support?"  (I can give you about three different
answers to this, but they're probably nothing like what you were
thinking.  8-)

cgd