Subject: yamaha YMF715 (cone of silence) chip
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/03/1998 10:50:52
A while ago there was a thread about the Yamaha YMF715 sound chip.
Intel appears to have chosen this chip for their new motherboards
(such as the P-II AL440LX board).

The first problem is that on a genenic 1.3 kernel this chip probes for
both the "sb at isa" and "sb at isapnp" probes.

The "sb at isa" probe assumes that it knows the correct irq.  This is
almost certainly always going to be wrong on the AL440LX because the
motherboard appears to rearrange interrupts to suit itself based on
the phase of the moon and doen't tell one what the chosen addresses
and IRQs are (at least not from the bios setup screen).  In my case
the BIOS appears to have assigned the chip an irq of 7 as seen in the
isapnp probe that came next.

The sb isapnp probe fails because the chip ident string doesn't match
to any known string.  Adding the obvious to the probe strings allows
the probe to succeed.  The resulting /dev/audio still hangs on write,
but at least it no longer comes back with 'device not configured'.

Altavista found a hit for this issue coming up on this very list last
Nov 1.  I'm about to try the one line dma change from that posting.

Has any new insights on this chip?

-wolfgang