Subject: Re: Question about biosboot.sym and serial consoles
To: David M. Stanhope DMS <dms@celtech.com>
From: CyberPeasant <listread@bedford.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1998 23:42:34
Dave Stanhope wrote:

> the boot blocks do tell the kernel which one to use, one thing I would find
> usefull is the ability to switch between serial and video console is the
> abscence/precence of the keyboard, this requires no use interaction in
> normal usage, but makes it easy to get back to the video when desired.
> We put this in locally and it works well.
>
>                    Dave Stanhope
>                    dms@celtech.com

A slight dissent: I have normally novideo/nokeyboard machines, which
are told in BIOS that this is their fate. When console is needed,
however, plugging in a monitor and a keyboard works. The proposed change
would break this, since the system would search for a non-existent
serial console. In other words, what I'm saying is that presence
or absence of keyboard at boottime, does not now (and I ask that it
should not in future) imply the presence or absence of the keyboard later on.
(Model: keyboards and monitors on A/B/C/D... switches.)

Dave
--
PGP public key:  finger djv@bedford.net

       --== There are Greeks in that horse! I can hear them! ==--