Subject: Trouble with AHA-1522A
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Burton <jamesb@aone.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1998 12:41:18
My upgrade from 1.2 -> 1.3 did not go smoothly.

sysinst hangs my machine if I select either install
or upgrade.

so I installed the sets by hand, and ran
(from the boot floppy)

umount /mnt ; cd /usr/mdec ; ./installboot biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0a

cute but frightening that installboot is a symlink to /bin/cat

This would not boot at all. So I put the old v1.2 boot block back.
This at least booted.

My next problem is that none of the sd* drives would mount.
The generic kernel configures my AHA-1522A as follows (although
this is from my cut down kernel config for which is at the end)

-----
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997 The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.3 (JARTZ) #5: Tue Feb 24 19:07:44 EST 1998
    root@artworks.home.mel.aone.com.au:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/JARTZ
cpu0: family 5 model 1 step 7
cpu0: Intel Pentium (586-class)
real mem  = 41549824
avail mem = 39153664
using 532 buffers containing 2179072 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
Opti 82C822 (host bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 16 function 0 not configure
Trident Microsystems TGUI 9440 (VGA display, revision 0xe3) at pci0 dev 17 funct
ion 0 not configured
isa0 at mainbus0
aic0 at isa0 port 0x340-0x35f irq 11
scsibus0 at aic0: 8 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LP240S GM240S01X, 6.4> SCSI2 0/direct fi
xed
sd0: 234MB, 1818 cyl, 4 head, 65 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 479350 sectors
sd1 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LP52S  950509405, 3.1> SCSI2 0/direct fi
xed
sd1: 49MB, 1219 cyl, 2 head, 41 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 102171 sectors
ne1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
ne1: NE2000 Ethernet
ne1: Ethernet address 00:c0:a8:00:6b:6d
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7
wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
wd0 at wdc0 drive 0: <WDC AC31000H>
wd0: 1033MB, 2100 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec
wd0: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
wd1 at wdc0 drive 1: <M1614TA>
wd1: 1040MB, 2114 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec
wd1: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
pc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1: color
pc0: console
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
biomask 4840 netmask 4c40 ttymask 4cc2
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
IP Filter: initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
-----

Which is correct as far as I can tell. But whenever I do anything to
access sd0 or sd1 it hangs. no response to signals.
All of this worked before under 1.2 so I'm sure it's not termination.
I tried my DAT machine last night and
        $ mt -f /dev/nrst0 rew
hangs also. Even though it configures correctly.
Oh and I have remade the /dev directory several times

e.g. any of these hang forever

        $ disklabel -r sd0
        $ fsck /dev/sd0d
        $ mount /dev/sd0d /home3
        $ disklabel -r sd1
        $ fsck /dev/sd1d
        $ mount /dev/sd1d /home4

So can somebody point out what obvious thing I have done wrong
before I report this as a bug?

Thanks,
James

-----
include "arch/i386/conf/std.i386"

maxusers        32              # estimated number of users

# CPU support.  At least one is REQUIRED.
options         I586_CPU

# Misc. i386-specific options
options         XSERVER         # X server support in console drivers

# Standard system options
options         UCONSOLE        # users can use TIOCCONS (for xconsole)
options         RTC_OFFSET=0    # hardware clock is this many mins. west of GMT
options         KTRACE          # system call tracing via ktrace(1)
options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like message queues
options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like memory sharing
options         LKM             # loadable kernel modules

# Diagnostic/debugging support options
options         DIAGNOSTIC      # cheap kernel consistency checks
options         KMEMSTATS       # kernel memory statistics (vmstat -m)
options         DDB             # in-kernel debugger
options         SCSIDEBUG

# Compatibility options
options         COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,
options         COMPAT_09       # NetBSD 0.9,
options         COMPAT_10       # NetBSD 1.0,
options         COMPAT_11       # NetBSD 1.1,
options         COMPAT_12       # NetBSD 1.2,
options         COMPAT_43       # and 4.3BSD

options         COMPAT_SVR4     # binary compatibility with SVR4
options         COMPAT_IBCS2    # binary compatibility with SCO and ISC
options         COMPAT_LINUX    # binary compatibility with Linux
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD  # binary compatibility with FreeBSD

# Executable format options
options         EXEC_ELF32      # 32-bit ELF executables (SVR4, Linux)

# File systems
file-system     FFS             # UFS
file-system     MFS             # memory file system
file-system     NFS             # Network File System client
file-system     CD9660          # ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge file system
file-system     MSDOSFS         # MS-DOS file system
file-system     FDESC           # /dev/fd
file-system     KERNFS          # /kern
file-system     NULLFS          # loopback file system
file-system     PROCFS          # /proc
file-system     UMAPFS          # NULLFS + uid and gid remapping
file-system     UNION           # union file system

# File system options
options         QUOTA           # UFS quotas
options         NFSSERVER       # Network File System server
options         FIFO            # FIFOs; RECOMMENDED

# Networking options
options         GATEWAY         # packet forwarding
options         INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
options         NETATALK        # AppleTalk networking protocols
options         IPFILTER_LOG    ## from /etc/rc :jb

# These options enable verbose messages for several subsystems.
# Warning, these may compile large string tables into the kernel!
options         EISAVERBOSE     # verbose EISA device autoconfig messages
options         PCIVERBOSE      # verbose PCI device autoconfig messages
options         SCSIVERBOSE     # human readable SCSI error messages

# Kernel root file system and dump configuration.
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

#
# Device configuration
#

mainbus0 at root

# PCI bus support
pci*    at mainbus? bus ?
pci*    at pchb? bus ?
pci*    at ppb? bus ?

# PCI bridges
pchb*   at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-Host bridges
pcib*   at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-ISA bridges
ppb*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-PCI bridges

# EISA bus support
eisa*   at mainbus?

# ISA bus support
isa*    at mainbus?
isa*    at pcib?

# Math Coprocessor support
npx0    at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13        # x86 math coprocessor

# ISA console.  You can only configure one of these!
pc0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # pccons generic PC console driver

com0    at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4        # Standard PC serial ports
com1    at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3
com2    at isa? port 0x3e8 irq 5
com3    at isa? port 0x2e8 irq 9

# ISA parallel printer interfaces
lpt0    at isa? port 0x378 irq 7        # standard PC parallel ports
lpt1    at isa? port 0x278
lpt2    at isa? port 0x3bc

aic0    at isa? port 0x340 irq 11       # Adaptec 152[02] SCSI

# SCSI bus support
scsibus* at aic?

# SCSI devices
sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI disk drives
st*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI tape drives
cd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI CD-ROM drives
ch*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI autochangers
ss*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI scanners
uk*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI unknown

# ISA IDE controllers
wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14       # ST506, ESDI, and IDE controllers
wdc1    at isa? port 0x170 irq 15

# IDE drives
wd*     at wdc? drive ?                 # the drives themselves

# ISA floppy
fdc0    at isa? port 0x3f0 irq 6 drq 2  # standard PC floppy controllers
fd*     at fdc? drive ?                 # the drives themselves

# ISA network interfaces
ne0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 9                # NE[12]000 ethernet cards
ne1     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10

# Pull in optional local configuration
include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC.local"

# disk/mass storage pseudo-devices
pseudo-device   ccd             4       # concatenated/striped disk devices
pseudo-device   md              1       # memory disk device (ramdisk)
pseudo-device   vnd             4       # disk-like interface to files
pseudo-device   bpfilter        20      # Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device   ipfilter                # IP filter (firewall) and NAT
pseudo-device   loop            1       # network loopback
pseudo-device   ppp             2       # Point-to-Point Protocol
pseudo-device   sl              2       # Serial Line IP
pseudo-device   tun             2       # network tunneling over tty

# miscellaneous pseudo-devices
pseudo-device   pty             64      # pseudo-terminals
pseudo-device   tb              1       # tablet line discipline
-----

---
     /\\__              James Burton
     \/  o\             System Administation