Subject: Re: UVM stability (was: Re: IMPORTANT: new partition ID)
To: None <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/1998 19:40:38
>Well, I spoke too soon saying that my p133 is copying fine with UVM. I just
>had the same panic (at least, ted mentioned to me that he saw a "ptdi"
>panic), after doing a make build and several kernel compiles.

Ted is reporting two different problems:
 [1] with PMAP_NEW he is getting random reboots and strange
	"file not found" problems
 [2] with !PMAP_NEW he is getting a ptdi panic

i have been attempting to reproduce [1], without success.

[2] is the one you've seen.   since uvm has different kernel memory
usage than bsd vm, it is possible that the guess that the kernel makes
for number of kernle PT pages could be off, thus the ptdi panic.
so i'm not that worried by it at this point (especially since
the new pmap dynamically allocates kernel PT pages via the freebsd
pmap_growkernel interface).

chuck