Subject: Re: UVM stability (was: Re: IMPORTANT: new partition ID)
To: None <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/1998 19:51:22
>> UVM is unstable, but not *that* unstable.  From the time it was
>> committed to the tree it was good enough to complete 'make build', at
>> least with the new pmap code.

>Not true.   On my 64-meg Pentium, I have never gotten through a make
>build without a spontaneous reboot or some kind of weird error (e.g.,
>rm: command not found).

hmm.   that doesn't sound very fun.   yours is the first report i've
seen of that sort of problem.   i would be interested in knowing how
common it is.

one thing you can try is switching off PMAP_NEW if you've got it on
to see if that makes any difference.

for reference, my primary development system is a P6-200 with 32MB RAM
and a 2940UW-based SCSI bus.

chuck