Subject: [Fwd: Installing on PC with "drive overlay"]
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christofer C. Bell <cbell@ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/1998 08:28:30
--------------FB5EDF8FCBA0DE595DFDFE6E

--
Christofer C. Bell                      Information Systems Lead
Union Computing Services                email: cbell@ukans.edu
University of Kansas                    phone: 785-864-4893
--------------FB5EDF8FCBA0DE595DFDFE6E

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:27:56 -0600
From: "Christofer C. Bell" <cbell@ukans.edu>
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Installing on PC with "drive overlay"

Bill Studenmund wrote:
> So the partitions will be
>
> WinNT
> NetBSD          <- 1GB barier is in here.
> Extra WinNT
>
> Actually, if you could shrink the NT partition ANY, and get your NetBSD
> "a" partition in the first 1024 cylinders, then you're fine. The BIOS
> needs to be able to read the kernel, but then NetBSD can see the whole
> disk.

It's my understanding that in machines that do not support LBA, the BIOS
limit on disk size is ~512MB which is consistent with the maximum
formatted DOS partition size being 504MB and the assumption that 1
cylinder = ~1/2MB.  So you'd need to stick both the Windows NT system
disk (C:) and the NetBSD root partition in under that limit.  How about
a scheme like this:

~480MB for Windows NT C:
~32MB for NetBSD /
== 1024 cylinder limit ==
<divvy this up between Windows NT and NetBSD however you want.
this is approximately 1.5GB in unused space.>

That should works and actually looks pretty acceptable to me.  It gives
you enough room on C: to install some programs (you can install bog ones
on D:) and have room for the paging file, and it keeps the NetBSD /
small which is in keeping with BSD design philosophy.