Subject: Re: 2 newbie questions
To: Kevin Cousins <kevinc@obelix.premium.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 12:40:30
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Kevin Cousins wrote:

> David> 1. ...I am now trying to verify that I can talk to the modem
> David> before attempting to set up ppp. I run cu -l /dev/tty01... but
> David> as soon as I type something I get an error about not being able
> David> to write to the port... Could anyone tell me how to get cu
> David> working.
>
> Run:
>
>   stty -f /dev/tty00 -clocal
>
> try 'cu' again, then rush out and get the BSD FAQ :)

Note: The right order to do things is to start up cu, then do the stty,
then type something in cu.

The problem is that serial port settings get reset each time the port goes
from inactive to active. So if nothing's holding the serial port open
after the stty runs, the settings will be lost. This behavior is a big
sanity check so one user can't trash the port for others.

Another option is to add local to /etc/ttys, and run ttyflags tty00.

Also, for cu to work right, shouldn't it be stty -f /dev/tty00 clocal? We
want to turn off the requirement that there be a carrier (so we can talk
to the modem to tell it to dial :-) . clocal does that, not -clocal.

Take care,

Bill