Subject: Re: 3c509 at irq 3
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 09:11:39
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:15:14 -0500
 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

 > >  > > I could be wrong, but I thought it used to be okay for devices
 > >  > > to share irq?  Was that never the case or have things changed?
 > >  >
 > >  > This was never the case.
 > >
 > > Incorrect.  The software has allowed interrupt sharing for a long time,
 > > and it works fine if the hardware can deal with it.
 >
 > Since when could a 3c509 do shared interrupts?

I didn't say the 3c509 could... however, your statement was misleading
at best, false at worst.

The question was whether or not "devices" (not the 3c509 specifically)
could share interrupts, and your response was:

	"This was never the case."

...which is not correct.  If the "devices" support it, interrupt sharing
works fine.

However, in this case of a 3c509 and a com port, the hardware clearly
does NOT support it, so one of the devices should be reconfigured.