Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: new partition ID
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/1998 09:16:26
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> NetBSD-current/i386 has now an own ID for its partition
> in the MBR partition table.
> The new ID is 169 decimal, A9 hex.
>
> READ THIS IF YOU WANT YOUR NEXT KERNEL TO
> ACCESS THE DISK!

Hello Matthias,

How will this affect users who upgrade to the next release of NetBSD
when it is available?

I have 1.3/i386 installed, and when I upgrade my machine, I will simply
extract the files from the 1.4 (?) tar files. Does this mean that when I
boot a 1.4 kernel my system will be dead? I hope the COMPAT_386BSD_MBRPART
option will be a default option in the next release if this is the case.

Another thing I am wondering about, is why was this change necessary?
Does NetBSD want to have its own ID number, or is there new functionality
associated with this change?

Thanks,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. |          : bstark@empros.com      |
| Power Transmission & Distribution |                                   |
| 7225 Northland Drive              | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Brooklyn Park, MN 55428   USA     | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |