Subject: Re: Installation from CD-ROM.
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/18/1998 12:33:00
On Feb 18, Darren Reed wrote
> blech.  I was wondering if you could do something like mount isofs as /
> and then union mount mfs on top of that so you can populdate /dev, and
> write to /tmp, etc.

Just move /bin, /sbin, /usr to /cdrom on your floppy image, and symlinks
them back to /. So you use the binaries from the ramdisk, until you mount
the cd on /cdrom. Then you start using binaries from the CD.
I did this hack, works fine for me.
You could also boot your kernel with '-a', and tell it 'cd0a' when
it asks for root partition. Should work, but I didn't try it.
Rockridge supports special files such as symlinks or devices, so you
don't need a mfs for /dev.

Of course you need the .tgz binary sets somewhere on the CD if you want to use
sysinst.