Subject: Mouse Problems
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/1998 13:29:34
Hi again. My next question:

I'm installing an X server on my 486, and I'm making a fair amount of
progress. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get my mouse to work.
I can get everything else going, but the mouse is playing at being a mime.

A couple days ago, this machine was straddled with Windows 95. I've since
installed NetBSD 1.3, and I'm running a 1.3C kernel. When the thing was
running W95, the mouse worked fine. (It's a two-button mouse, FWIW.) It's
plugged into the one available and configured serial port. I've tried using
both "Microsoft" and "Busmouse" in my XF86Config file, to no avail.

Are there any common caveats here? I know the hardware is in working order.
Is there a list of available mouse protocols or something? The mouse des-
cribes itself as, simply, "serial mouse." It was made by Mitsumi, IIRC.

Thanks in advance for clues. My eventual goal is to have this NetBSD box
replace the MacOS box currently on my desk. I want to have a windowing
system running before I make the big switch. (I'm addicted to mouse-based
cut and paste. Arrow-key-based cut and paste is too cumbersome sometimes.)

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments