Subject: pccard modem "sound effects"
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/1998 14:31:59
I've got a Digital Hinote laptop and a USR 28.8 pccard modem.  On the
rare occassions when I boot this machine under win95, if I then boot it again
under NetBSD without a power cycle, the sound of the modem dialing, and
the phone ringing etc comes through the laptop speakers.  But when I boot
NetBSD directly from power-on, this doesn't happen.

Presumably there is some setting that makes this happen, that Windows uses
but NetBSD doesn't, and that doesn't survive power-cycles.  Does anyone know
what it is?  Is it something in the pccard software, or is it an "AT"
command given to the modem (I think I tried the AT command that claimed to
turn the speaker on and it didn't work).

This isn't crucially important, but I do find it more comforting when I can
hear my modem doing something when it's dialing out... :-)

Duncan