Subject: Re: ThinNet Madness...!
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/1998 10:20:25
	Your problem is most likely an intermittent short in one of your
lengths of cable.  Are your cables home made?  I usually use two bent
paperclips, an AA battery and a flashlight bulb to test the segments and
make sure they're not shorted or disconnected.  Take the first paperclip,
push it into the end of a T connector so that it touches the dialectric and
and the outer shell of the T connector.  Then, plug one end of your cable
segment into the other side of the T connecter.  Next, connect the other
end to another T connector.  Now, connect the battery, bulb and paperclip
to the other side of your second T connector such that the cable is part of
your circuit.  Now, if you disconnect the first paperclip and all is well,
the light wil go out.  If your light still shines, then you have a short.
If your light doesn't work at all, then you either have a bad cable  or a
bad T connector.
	If your cable segments are pre-connectorized, then the most likely
cause of your trouble is a bad T connector.  I have seen some T connectors,
as well as cables, stop working after the stress of connecting and
disconecting.
	The device timeout message means that the driver isn't seeing any
activity from the ethernet card when it sends out a packet.  This could be
either that you have the card on the wrong interrupt, an impossibility
since it worked before the network work began and since you didn't say you
took out the card in your working machine, or that the medium (the cable)
is bad somewhere.  Since you've been working on your network and since a
break in the wire at any point will take out the entire net, you'll have to
make an educated guess as to where the trouble is, or test each segment
individually.

Hope this helps.
-Brian