Subject: Re: 1.3 on IBM 560X Thinkpad?
To: None <rcn@mci.net>
From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/1998 18:15:40
rcn@mci.net:
> Any one have any experience with 1.3 on the 560X? General comments
> on running NetBSD on Thinkpads are welcome.

I could probably write a novel on this subject, but the following are
my experiences on running 1.3 on a 560X in short ... :-)

(Coming from the BSD Reno/SunOS world (refusing to go to Solaris ;-),
I'm not a gray haired PC-pro, and I don't know much about kernel
programming, but I DO know some about systems administration and
making the bastards work. ;-) Up til now I've been running BSD/OS,
because NetBSD wasn't around by then, but I got fed up with their
sales department ... Yeah, and many thanks to my friend and collegue
Havard Eidnes in Norway, whose NetBSD experience guided me through
several of the difficulties.)

Principally it runs OK, but be careful when you install. I managed to
break the Win95 partition because I was careless, and restoring it
from the rescue CD-ROM provided by IBM is a bloody battle from which I
still have bruises and scars. If you need to do that and run into
trouble, get in touch with me. I might be able to give a hint or two
on how to cheat the installation program.

You probably need to turn the parallel port off with the BIOS/Win95
utility, else you have some I/O-base collition with the graphics
chipset. Watch out for the IR port as well.

When you configure your kernel, toss out everything you don't really
need, including the strange wd1 20 MB hard drive that will show up in
the INSTALL kernel probe. (Does ANYONE know what that is?!) It's handy
if you can build a kernel on another machine.

X Windows runs OK (but not excellent) using Xinside's commercial X
server for laptops, patched with a new Neomagic driver from their home
page.  I use the FreeBSD version running in compatibility mode, but
don't forget to get the FreeBSD sharable libraries, and DO be careful
when you install Xinside's server. You need to trick the install script
to recognise NetBSD as being FreeBSD. It will download new sharable
libraries for X, killing your NetBSD X installation, and you need to
sort that out by moving the Xinside libraries to the FreeBSD
compatibility area, and re-install NetBSD libraries where they are
supposed to be. You also need to have PCVT in your kernel to be able
to use this X server.

When configuring the X server, don't go for a desktop that is bigger
than the screen. The window contents (at least in text windows) will
become garbled if the output is too quick. If you settle for 800x600
as desktop size, you're OK, but the server runs somewhat slow. Note
that the mouse is a BusMouse on /dev/pms0.

If you suspend the machine while running X it will wake up with the
screen shifted to the right 1 inch. This is remedied by switching to
another virtual screen and back again, e.g., by using the key sequence
ALT+CTRL+F1 (release all keys) ALT+CTRL+F7.

If you suspend the machine with the ethernet card active, you will
have to do a "ifconfig xxx down ; ifconfig xxx up" to wake it up.

The NetBSD APM interface doesn't really work, but the machine behaves
OK when you put it to sleep by closing the lid.

Apart from that it runs like a dream. ;-) The box is REALLY fast.

If anyone knows about workarounds for the caveats above, please let me
know.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman
# What the DNS really needs, is CLUE records ... ;-)
# Lars-Johan Liman			 ! Internet: liman@sunet.se
# Ebone/NORDUnet/SUNET Operations Centre ! BITNET  : LIMAN@SEARN
# Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden	 ! HTTP    : //www.sunet.se/~liman
#					 ! Voice   : Int +46 8 - 790 65 60