Subject: Re: netscape 4 on NetBSD 1.3
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@amdahl.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/1998 01:31:45
> I got the linux libs from the freebsd ports tree.  Actually I run the
> full freebsd ports tree, and just typed "make && make install" in the
> linux lib subdirectory.  No muss, no fuss.  I think all I had to do
> was make a link from /emul and /compat to /usr/pkg/emul .

A word of warning here - while the FreeBSD ports tree has many more
entries when compared to the NetBSD pkgsrc tree, we have imported most
of the common ones, and fixed a lot of them in the process. Combined
with significant changes to the bsd.port.mk and bsd.port.subdir.mk
files, this may mean that a FreeBSD "port" will not work in quite the
same way that a NetBSD package does. Whilst we've tried to keep the
differences backwards compatible, we've about reached the limits of that
approach (see Hubert's commit messages about STRIP and STRIP_FLAGS last
weekend). We've also found that a fair number of the FreeBSD ports have
a dependency on /usr/local, or other FreeBSD-specific locations. Caveat
Installor.

Let's take a package at random - pkgsrc/emulators/linux_lib - if you'd
used the NetBSD pkgsrc/emulators/linux_lib package, you wouldn't have
had to make those symbolic links. No muss, no fuss. (FreeBSD has their
emulation directories in a different place to NetBSD's, I believe)

And some others off the top of my head - FreeBSD has texinfo in their
tree, so watch out for all those dependencies in the devel category. And
all those packages that depend on ncurses. And look at all the fun that
FreeBSD has had with tcl/tk recently. Any README.html files that you
make might look *VERY* strange.