Subject: Re: i386/rarpd/de0 question
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1998 15:02:02
| From bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr  Tue Feb 10 14:46:37 1998
|
| > 	# rarpd -d /dev/de0
| > 	rarpd: error: BIOCSETIF: Device not configured
|
| You want "rarpd -d de0". Ethernet board are not character or block devices,
| and thus are addressed in a different way. They don't have entries in /dev.

Dooh!  That fixes it:

# rarpd -d de0
rarpd: de0: 0:0:c0:aa:3d:e7

What was confusing things requires further detail: the box has two SMC
cards, but only one is up right now - so when the "rarpd -a" failed, I
didn't know it was because of the *second* interface. When testing further
via the debug option, my screwing up the device reference notation only
made matters worse.  You'd think I would know better than to think /dev/de0
would exist... sigh.  Thanks for setting me right!