Subject: Re: netscape 4 on NetBSD 1.3
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1998 20:59:04
On Feb 10, Manuel Bouyer wrote
> Ok. As some people reported sucess with the bsdi version (thanks to those
> who anserwed) I looked deeper at the 8 Mb ktrace file.
> I discovered that it does a 'geteuid' and tries to find back the login from
> that so it opens /etc/pwd.db, but as the user is in the yp it doesn't find it
> and print this usefull message "out of memory". If I add this user to the
> passwd file it runs fine. (It need the user to fill in the "Sender:" field :(
> Now I need to find how to work around this. I really need YP.
> I'm going to try the FreeBSD version, and see if it's compatible with our
> yp implementation.

Ok, for those who are interested I reinstalled my /emul/linux from FreeBSD's
package, as suggested by a few people (Thanks again). Now netscape works under
linux emulation, and the good news is that the libraries from FreeBSD's
package can do lookups in the NIS.
Now my users can use netscape to send mail (disclaimer: I don't use netscape
as a mailer, but I'm not the only user of these machines :)