Subject: Re: netscape 4 on NetBSD 1.3
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1998 18:59:12
--------------2D666571EAC1AD0F80FD5E99

--------------BDC97FD2DB02610A247F1389

> Hi, did someone get netscape 4 (communicator) working under NetBSD ?
> The linux version, installed with redhat's 4.2 libraries, dies with a
> "bus error" before opening any window. Ktrace shows that it dies after a
> serie of calls to brk(), so I guess a memory allocation failed somewhere,
> but I can't see this in the ktrace (Yes, I've unlimit'ed everything
> before starting it).
> I tried the bsdi version, wich goes furter. It can brose www servers and
> read mail. But when a user tries to send a mail, it opens a window saying
> "not enouth memory" (or something like this).
> Does someone have it running under NetBSD, and is able to use it to send mail ?
> For now I think I'll revert to netscape3.

Hi:I've been using the Linux version, with a whole lot of plugins, both BSDI
versions, and the FreeBSD versions, of Communicator for the last few months, under
NetBSD-current and when it was released NetBSD 1.3.  In fact I am writing this
response using Communicator's composer.

However I did run into problem running Communicator under older versions of
NetBSD.  The huge size of the Communicator binary would choke under the old NetBSD
data and text size limits.  To run Communicator under older versions of NetBSD,
you have to go into the "vmparam.h" file; increase the values of the defined
constants including "MAXTSIZ", "DFLDSIZ", "MAXDSIZ", etc.; and recompile the
kernel.

Personally, I would strongly recommend that you get the Linux ELF (2.0) version of
Communicator 4.04, which is what I use now.  In order to run communicator, you
need to compile a kernel with Linux-ELF support and get the Linux libraries used
to populate "/emul/linux/" from:

 ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/packages-3.0/emulators/linux_lib-2.4.tgz

Using this, I am able to run both the 128 bit version of the domestic
communicator, and the export version (strengthen to 128 bit using Fortify).
Fortify now has BSD support and you can get Fortify to convert communicator from
40 bit SSL support to 128 bit SSL support at:

ftp://ftp.bond.edu.au/pub/Fortify/Fortify-1.1.4-unix.tar.gz

The plugin support of the Linux port is invaluable, especially the X-Swallow
plugin which lets you use any X window program as a plugin.  You can get it at:

http://skynet.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/docs/Xswallow.html

The BSD ports of communicator are unsupported, and hence have many bugs, and
disabled features.

My only complaint about the Linux Communicator is that I cannot get the calendar
to work.  Has any else?  When I try to run it, I get the error message:

    Unexpected error:
    Error creating directory:
    " "

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Anyways, I hope you find the above info useful.  Sincerely, Alicia.

--------------BDC97FD2DB02610A247F1389

<HTML>
<BODY TEXT="#000000" BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" LINK="#0000FF" VLINK="#FF0000" ALINK="#000088">

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi, did someone get netscape 4 (communicator) working
under NetBSD ?
<BR>The linux version, installed with redhat's 4.2 libraries, dies with
<BR>"bus error" before opening any window. Ktrace shows that it dies after
<BR>serie of calls to brk(), so I guess a memory allocation failed somewhere,
<BR>but I can't see this in the ktrace (Yes, I've unlimit'ed everything
<BR>before starting it).
<BR>I tried the bsdi version, wich goes furter. It can brose www servers
and
<BR>read mail. But when a user tries to send a mail, it opens a window
saying
<BR>"not enouth memory" (or something like this).
<BR>Does someone have it running under NetBSD, and is able to use it to
send mail ?
<BR>For now I think I'll revert to netscape3.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi:I've been using the Linux version, with a whole lot of plugins, both
BSDI versions, and the FreeBSD&nbsp;versions, of Communicator for the last
few months, under NetBSD-current and when it was released NetBSD&nbsp;1.3.&nbsp;
In fact I am writing this response using Communicator's composer.

<P>However I did run into problem running Communicator under older versions
of NetBSD.&nbsp; The huge size of the Communicator binary would choke under
the old NetBSD data and text size limits.&nbsp; To run Communicator under
older versions of NetBSD, you have to go into the "<B>vmparam.h</B>" file;
increase the values of the defined constants including "<B>MAXTSIZ</B>",
"<B>DFLDSIZ</B>", "<B>MAXDSIZ</B>", etc.; and recompile the kernel.

<P>Personally, I would strongly recommend that you get the Linux ELF (2.0)
version of Communicator 4.04, which is what I use now.&nbsp; In order to
run communicator, you need to compile a kernel with Linux-ELF support and
get the Linux libraries used to populate "<B>/emul/linux/</B>" from:

<P>&nbsp;">ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/packages-3.0/emulators/linux_lib-2.4.tgz

<P>Using this, I am able to run both the 128 bit version of the domestic
communicator, and the export version (strengthen to 128 bit using Fortify).&nbsp;
Fortify now has BSD support and you can get Fortify to convert communicator
from 40 bit SSL support to 128 bit SSL support at:

<P>">ftp://ftp.bond.edu.au/pub/Fortify/Fortify-1.1.4-unix.tar.gz

<P>The plugin support of the Linux port is invaluable, especially the X-Swallow
plugin which lets you use any X window program as a plugin.&nbsp; You can
get it at:

<P>">http://skynet.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/docs/Xswallow.html

<P>The BSD ports of communicator are unsupported, and hence have many bugs,
and disabled features.

<P>My only complaint about the Linux Communicator is that I cannot get
the calendar to work.&nbsp; Has any else?&nbsp; When I try to run it, I
get the error message:

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Unexpected error:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Error creating directory:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; " "

<P>Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

<P>Anyways, I hope you find the above info useful.&nbsp; Sincerely, Alicia.
<BR>&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------BDC97FD2DB02610A247F1389--

--------------2D666571EAC1AD0F80FD5E99

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Cyberstation Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@cyberstation.ca
title:          VP of Technology
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380