Subject: Re: Slow X with Applix - how to profile?
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/1998 13:50:30
On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 10:32:09AM -0500, Chuck Cranor wrote:
> >Well, output format of "show map" looked different on my system with the
> >old VM system, but I saw values "ref = 1, nentries = 157, version = 678601"
> >for the X server.  If 157 is the number I was looking for ;) then it's
> >higher than 41, but the list is only 4 times as big as yours, so I don't
> >think it could cause this problem..?
>
> yes, 157 is the number you are looking for.

I have been running the no-InternalMalloc XFree for two days now the the list
now has 37 entries.

Why does the internal malloc of XFree make the list grow to 157 entries in
one day when the other allocation method behaves a lot better?  And why do
things become so slow when the list length grows to 150+ entries?

(No, I haven't seen the freeze recently.. I have 74 MB of swap in use with
64 MB of physical RAM..)

  -jm