Subject: Re: Slow X with Applix - how to profile?
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/1998 18:37:53
On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 10:32:09AM -0500, Chuck Cranor wrote:
> yes, 157 is the number you are looking for.
>
> so the process' vm_map has a sorted linked list of 157 vm_map_entrys
> (with a one item cache/hint to take advantage of locality of reference).

Also, Applixware works fast when it is first started up.  After some time,
it starts getting slower and slower (depending on the use - if it's not
being used but just sitting there, nothing happens).  This sounds to me
like the problem was something like a growing linked list..

> so, it seems to me that in order for this linked list to be the source
> of your 20-30 second slow down your X process would either having to be
> constantly generating page faults (maybe by using up RAM and causing
> the pagedaemon to run constantly thus causing lots of disk action?) or
> constantly performing VM system calls (which you should be able to see
> with ktrace?).

Well, I just restarted X before receiving your messages, so I'll have to
wait until things get slow again.  (I built a new X server, trying to
disable to internal malloc again - I need to work on a spreadsheet and
waiting 30 seconds for every screen update was getting on my nerves ;-)

Can anyone write that test program for X's internal malloc?  Hm.. wish I
had the time to study X, NetBSD kernel, ISDN signalling, Spanish language,

  -jm