Subject: Re: Slow X with Applix - how to profile?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/1998 19:25:04
>I would be glad if someone could give me simple instructions of how to
>enable profiling in X and/or kernel (which one is it?) to finally find
>out why Applixware runs so slow on NetBSD.  The problem must be related
>to memory allocation because disabling XFree's InternalMalloc makes
>things much faster.

You know, _I_ would personally concentrate my time on doing a memory
benchmark of the XFree InternalMalloc.  Would be a lot simpler than
profiling the X server :-)

I'm not up on profiling the kernel, but check out the gcc man page
for the profiling flags (-pg, I think) and the "gprof" command.

--Ken