Subject: Re: Problems installing
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/1998 15:34:39
> I don't see many new UN*X users sticking it out through the poorly
> documented install procedure under NetBSD.  Then again, if the purpose is
> to discourage newbies from using NetBSD, then that's another story ;->

That's not really true.   The FreeBSD setup process is theoretically
much more friendly than the NetBSD process, but in practice it isn't
really - it works too hard to make things easy for the user, and
sometimes gets things badly wrong.

About a year ago, I was introducing a friend of mine to the wonders of
Unix installs (she wasn't at all Unix-literate - the only other
computer she'd used was a Mac).   I figured I'd start her with a
FreeBSD install because it was "easier."   After about five tries, she
gave up, so I handed her a NetBSD install floppy and had her read the
INSTALL document.   She was able to get it installed and running on
the first try.

"Computer newbies" have had to go through complicated install
processes to get their computers running for a very long time now, and
they somehow manage to muddle through.   Clever, whizzy installs that
hide the process from the user do make things easier if all goes well,
but they are not a panacea, and careful attention should be given in
their design to what to do if things don't go right during the
install.

Unfortunately, I would say that sysinst falls down as badly here as
the FreeBSD installer, but I don't think it's a lot worse.   It's just
a bit raw now, and needs some time to smooth off the rough edges.

			       _MelloN_