Subject: Re: Problems installing
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/1998 16:18:24
Hi,

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Dave Burgess wrote:

> [problems with sysinst elided]
>
> > Yes, I understand this. I wanted to point out these problems, because they
> > will send many newbies screaming into the night.
>
> I'm hardly a newbie.....
>
> :-)

Umm, I don't remember saying you were a newbie.  My point was that given
the various free UN*X alternatives for i386 users (Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD/
OpenBSD), the install process is most difficult under NetBSD. You may be a
UN*X expert, but manu users turn to free UN*X solutions to learn about
UN*X. I don't see many new UN*X users sticking it out through the poorly
documented install procedure under NetBSD.  Then again, if the purpose is
to discourage newbies from using NetBSD, then that's another story ;->

Incidentally, I did manage to get a working NetBSD by first installing
FreeBSD which partitioned the HD very nicely.  I then installed NetBSD by
have NetBSD takeover what was the FreeBSD partition.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/