Subject: Re: Freeze again.
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/1998 18:48:26

> Can you compile a kernel with ddb and do a traceback when it freezes?
> I'm anxious that we find out what is happening to your machine (no one
> else reports anything similar.)
>
> Perry

Actually, I reported something similar when I was building that 8Meg
Apache server a few weeks back (I didn't send-pr it, but I did post it
here).

I found that no matter how much swap I specified, when the amount of
swap in use was 200% of my available memory, my system would freeze.  I
doubled the amount of real memory and the hangs went away.  Of course,
I'm not using 64M of swap yet, so the problem may still be around.

I also reported a problem with a different system locking up with the
SCSI bus light ON.  I swapped out the 2742 and replaced it with a 1542.
The bus freezes are gone.  Explanations?  Suddenly, intermittently bad
controller?

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom