Subject: Re: Wireless LAN cards?
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/1998 09:34:13
	As long as the peer you want to connect to is known by the Metricom
radios that do wide area forwarding, your peer can be multiple radio hops
away from you.  If your destination radio isn't known by the wide area
forwarding service, then you have you have to have a direct connection
(within radio distance) in order to connect with your peer.  Because
StarMode, which is what the strip driver uses to communicate with the
radio, is a packet oriented protocol rather than a stream based protocol,
you can have multiple peers talk through the same radio.  This is different
than Metricom's modem-to-modem service where each radio must connect to one
other radio.
	I've used the strip driver, driving two radios through the wide area
forwarding service under NetBSD 1.2, and it worked great.  Too bad the
radios weren't't faster.  The long round trip delay drove TCP performance
into the ground.
-Brian