Subject: Re: ASUS TX97 and floppies (was: Re: Freeze again)
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/1998 13:19:51
In article <19980205074253.23222@pyy.jmp.fi> you write:
> Odd.. never noticed that on my system.  Are the TX97-XEA and TX97-E all
> that different from each other?  Does -XEA support 2.8 MB or larger floppies
> or something?  (Actually, can't recall what -E can do.. and still haven't
> had the time to write that driver to read the CPU and motherboard
> temperatures..)

X is ATX form factor, A is onboard audio, and I think E means it has
both SIMM and DIMM slots (only use one type, though!) instead of just
DIMM. So, they should be very closely related. Probably even the same BIOS.

> Did you have the floppy problem with 1.2 already (if you ever ran that)?

The machine is relatively new. I installed NetBSD on it when I got it,
and I think it was 1.2G a few weeks before the change to 1.3_ALPHA.
It had the problem from the start.

I did a pefunctory cabling check, but if the cable was bad, why wouldn't
the BIOS have problems too?