Subject: Re: suggested enhancements for the i386 boot mechanisms
To: Luke Mewburn <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/1998 12:55:15
In some mail I received from Luke Mewburn, sie wrote

> Something I've wanted for ages was the ability to configure the boot
> mechanism of the i386, giving us some of the functionality of the boot
> proms on workstations; namely the ability to set variables that affect
> the boot operation.
[...]
> 	vga-mode	vga		type of video:
> 						mono	old mono card
> 						vga	vga 80x24
> 						vga43	vga 80x43

What about 132x66 and others ?  I believe this would be a very cool
thing to add.

> 	boot-file	netbsd		kernel to boot.
>
> 					XXX: how do we support a list of
> 					kernels to try (netbsd.gz, netbsd.old,
> 					etc)

Something which sprang to mind with the sun3 changes and problems was why
not have the kernel loader look for netbsd-<arch> if it can't find netbsd
but looking for other combinations with .gz and .old maybe useful too.